I love chicken dipped in honey mustard. So, when I tried the Alice Springs Chicken at Outback Steakhouse, it became an instant favorite. I decided I must make a version of it at home.
First off, I always make extra honey mustard to use later on, and I’m a heavy dipper, so if you don’t want too much extra, I suggest cutting the marinade in half.
Ready!? Start off by mixing together your marinade (lemon juice, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and honey) in a small bowl.
Place the chicken breast in a Ziplock bag and pour in 1/3 of the marinade. Press out as much air as you can, and seal up bag. Rub the chicken around to evenly coat. Then place the chicken in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours. Save the leftover marinade as well (you will use it to brush the chicken after searing, as well as a dipping sauce!).
Prep your toppings (sauté the mushroom, fry bacon, and mince parsley).
After your chicken is done marinating, and has come to room temperature, it is time to sear, stack high with toppings, then bake in the oven!
It’s a cheesy, flavorful, jam packed dish! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I would suggest serving it with some vegetables (I often do steamed broccoli).
- Mixing bowl*
- Wire Whisk
- Kitchen Tongs
- Rubber Spatula
- Frying Pans (my favorite cookware set*)
- Wood cutting board*
- Chef’s knife (my FAVORITE knife*, worth ever penny)
- Measuring set*
- Cast iron skillet*
Copycat Outback's Alice Springs Chicken
Honey Mustard Marinade:
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices bacon, cut in half
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley finely chopped
Prep the chicken:
- In a small mixing bowl, make the honey mustard marinade by combining the mustard, honey, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Use a whisk and whip together until thoroughly combined (about 30 seconds).
- Place the chicken breast in a Ziplock bag and pour in 1/3 of the honey mustard marinade. Press out as much air as you can, and seal up bag. Rub the chicken around to evenly coat. Then place chicken in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Also place leftover marinade in the refrigerator (you will use it for brushing the chicken after searing, as well as a dipping sauce).
Cook the chicken:
- After the chicken has marinated, set out on counter for about 30 minutes, letting it come to room temperature for an even cook. Then remove from bag and discard leftover marinade that it was soaking in.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Take a cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high heat until water sizzles when you flick it, then turn heat down just a touch (keeping it above medium) and drizzle ½ tablespoon oil over pan.
- Sear the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Careful not to over sear!
- Remove pan from heat, keeping the chicken in the pan.
Make the toppings:
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small frying pan, sauté the mushroom in the butter for 6-7 minutes.
- In another frying pan, cook bacon, then set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
Layer and finish chicken:
- Set out all your toppings (mushroom, bacon, shredded cheeses and marinade).
- Start by brushing the chicken with the marinade, then season with salt, pepper, and paprika (I season both sides).
- Now pile on your toppings! Start by placing 3 bacon strips on each breast, spoon on the mushrooms, and finish by sprinkling on both cheeses.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble.
- After it has cooked, sprinkle each breast with parsley. Serve with extra marinade in a small ramekin on the side.
AMAZON AFFILATE LINK DISCLOSER:
ALEXAS IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM. THERE ARE LINKS ON THIS SITE THAT CAN BE DEFINED AS “AFFILIATE LINKS”. THIS MEANS THAT WE MAY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION (AT NO COST TO YOU) IF YOU SUBSCRIBE OR PURCHASE SOMETHING THROUGH THE LINKS PROVIDED, WHICH ARE SIGNALED WITH *.
THIS AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM HELPS WEBSITE OWNERS LIKE US TO BE ABLE TO SHARE WHAT WE LOVE FREELY, AND EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM, AUDIBLE.COM, AND ANY OTHER WEBSITE THAT MAY BE AFFILIATED WITH AMAZON SERVICE LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM.