I use to buy store bought granola, but I got tired of all the added sugar. So, I decided to make a my own version. Boy am I happy I did. I’ve been addicted to making my own ever since. Fresh ingredients, nutrient dense and tasty!
When it comes to granola, the combinations are endless. Start off with a good base of oats. Add in nuts or seeds, dried fruit, a few spices, and vanilla for flavor. Then binding agents to hold it all together. I like to use a combination of sweet syrups and healthy oils.
Listed below is my favorite combination. Feel free to add more/less, as well as additional ingredients, until your tongue is happy and you’ve created a perfect combination!
To get started, gather up your star ingredients, which should be some combination of oats, nuts or seeds, and dried fruit. I use both rolled and steel cut oats for the base. For the seeds I used pumpkin, chia and flax. Then unsweetened shredded coconut for the dried fruit.
Time to spice things up! Top off the beautiful sand art creation with the spices, then destroy and mix thoroughly. 🙃
Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour wet ingredients in the middle and fold the dry mixture inwards on top. Continue folding and mixing until everything is thoroughly combined.
Pour mixture on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Spread out evenly.
Bake in oven at 325 degrees F for 12 minutes. Take out and flip mixture over, then place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes (until golden brown).
Let cool for a few minutes, then give it a good stir to prevent any excessive clumping. Then let it cool completely before placing in an air tight container.
- Large mixing bowl
- Wire whisk
- Rubber spatula
- Measuring set
- Parchment paper
- Rimmed sheet pan
- Air tight containers (for storage)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cups steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients: rolled and steel cut oats, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut, ground cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour liquids inside. Fold mixture inwards and continue to fold and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour out mixture on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, spreading out evenly.
- Bake in oven at 325F for 12 minutes. Take out and flip over, then place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then give it a good stir to prevent any excessive clumping. Then let it cool completely before placing in an air tight container.
I love homemade granola. It is easy to make, and delicious. Anyone else make their own granola at home? What are your favorite combinations? I’d love to hear suggestions!
One Comment Add yours